Thursday, March 19, 2009

FOX NEWS (aka FAUX NEWS) manufactures tension between President Obama and Coach K

Media outlets are buzzing about what would appear to be Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (Coach K) calling out President Barack Obama after the president didn't include the North Carolina college in the final four of his NCAA Basketball tournament brackets.

The headline at foxnews.com read:
Duke Coach to Obama: Worry About the Economy, Not NCAA Picks
Reacting to news Obama picked North Carolina to win the NCAA Championship, Mike Krzyzewski says, "the economy is something that [the president] should focus on, probably more than the brackets."
The problem with the headline and its implication that Coach K was lecturing President Obama for misplaced priorities, however a fuller quote which appeared on the ABC NEWS website puts what the coach said in its proper context:
"Somebody said that we're not in President Obama's Final Four," Krzyzewski said from the Blue Devils' first-round site in Greensboro, N.C. "And as much as I respect what he's doing, really, the economy is something that he should focus on, probably more than the brackets."

The coach said, in referring to the president's picks, "Why would I care about that? I love the guy, and I think he's gonna be great."
The president, not taking the bait, laughed off any suggestion that there is any real tension between him and Coach K during an interview with Ed Shultz
"Coach K, I think, is a great coach. And you know, Reggie Love, my assistant, played for Coach K. And so it's not surprising. I didn't pick him to go to the finals. Look he's a competitive guy, I just don't think they've got the inside game to go all the way. But I look forward to him proving me wrong," the president said.
No matter which way you cut it "controversy" is manufactured.

No comments: