Chicago Sun-Times: Sighting 'The View' A Blago blitz?
January 23, 2009
BY MICHAEL SNEED Sun-Times Columnist
Is beleaguered Gov. Blagojevich showing his feminine side?
Sneed hears Blagojevich, who is weighing the possibility of a major media blitz, is keen on appearing on Barbara Walters' hit ABC-TV show "The View" with its all-woman panel.
• • Translation: Word is Gov. Blago, who is being probed by the feds, impeached by the Illinois House and awaiting trial in the state Senate, is considering launching an all-out media attack.
• • The fear: It could backfire. Putting the poetry-spouting governor out to explain "Y" and having it interpreted as "X" could be disastrous.
• • The upshot: "It would be Rod's decision," a source said. "It's his deal."
• • The backshot: "The governor is weighing offers from multiple media sources -- and if he did appear on 'The View,' it would probably be in tandem [contingent?] with an interview on 'Good Morning America,' which is also on ABC-TV and has expressed interest in him appearing on the show," a top source said. "He is weighing his offers."
• • The flipside: A call to ABC-TV "The View" spokesman Karl Nilsson netted this response: "Per our executive producer, we don't discuss our bookings."
• • Translation: Sneed hears there may be a personal reason Blagojevich favors an appearance on the show, which sports an all-female panel monitored by actress/comedian Whoopi Goldberg and includes Elisabeth Hasselbeck, comedian Joy Behar and Sherri Shepherd.