Saturday, September 16, 2006

Hype machine: Danica vs. Sharapova


Two pretty different examples of hype

September 15, 2006

BY GREG COUCH SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

At the beginning, I went to the Indy 500 interested in one thing: Danica Patrick. If she won, I would write about her. If she lost, the story would be her. If there was a crash, her. If she went around the track once? Her.

She was the hot story. And ''hot'' meant the buzz, not her looks. Although, in this case, those are the same thing.

That was just last summer. This past Sunday, she raced at Chicagoland Speedway, and it would have been hard to care less.

''Last year people knew about me because I was fast,'' she said, defensively. ''That's it. I had the fastest speed of the month. I almost got [the] pole. I almost won the race.
-snip-

Click here for entire column.

No comments: